In this, the first episode of our WorkTogether podcast, we are looking at the topic of accessibility: What it is, how it impacts people and what can be done to improve things in the digital world for any with accessibility needs.
Benjamin Ellis is joined by Steve Green, Managing Director of “test partners”. With many years of accessibility and technology experience Steve brings his unique perspective to the topic, enlightening us on the history of accessibility, diving into the detail of why modern tech can make things challenging for accessibility and revealing some of the common mistakes, and how they can be avoided with good practice.
Links and resources:
- Three/four stages of learning blog (Test partners)
- Accessibility Guidelines
- The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) Accessibility Regulations 2018
- The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018
- Equality act: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents
- Government Digital Service (GDS): https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/helping-people-to-use-your-service
- GDS sample accessibility statement: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sample-accessibility-statement
- Understanding accessibility requirements for public sector bodies (Central Digital and Data Office)
- IAAP: https://www.accessibilityassociation.org/s/
- Webaim: https://webaim.org/